Our Programs & Initiatives
At BLC we believe that the best way to invest into our community is to provide programming that supports, empowers, and uplifts local families. Our 3 focus areas for our programs are: Health & Wellness, Youth Development, and Professional Development.
“Global Kids” is an after school program that primarily focuses on helping young people obtain the skills they need to be successful both inside and outside the classroom. Our lesson plans will emphasize the importance of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) fields and will also:
- Enhance reading and math skills.
- Improve oral and written communication.
- Teach critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Promote good study habits.
- Teach conflict resolution.
- Encourage team work & collaboration.
Summer Enrichment Program
Our summer enrichment program runs for 7 weeks during July and August and hires over 20 neighborhood youths as summer camp counselors and business interns.
Every participant receives job readiness training and the core values of our organization, The Becket B’s, Be Thankful, Be Honest, Be Humble, Be Helpful, Be Kind, Be Determined, Be Creative and Be Healthy provide us with a meaningful character enhancing foundation.
Youth have the opportunity to engage in an array of business activities related to urban development and community management and entrepreneurship.
Coming Soon! Health & Wellness
Our holistic nutrition program that educates the community on the importance of healthy eating habits, understanding what non-processed foods are, how to properly exercise. Additionally, BLC is equipped with a commercial kitchen that program participants will be able to practice prepping means and snacks that come from local coops and farms. Daily activities include:
- Fresh Food Preparation classes
- Eat This Not That seminars
- Fun and Healthy Eating Habits for Children
- Yoga & Relaxation events
- Healthy Mind, Healthy Me Workshops
This initiative aims to support the senior residents of Beckett Gardens by encouraging healthy behaviors that promote longevity, prevent disease and physical deterioration, and prompt social participation. More information to come!
The “I AM” initiative encourages children and adults to develop new talents, confidence and self-esteem while exploring a broad spectrum of the Arts & Humanities. While developing their talents, participants will gain a stronger sense of self, and learn/understand their value to the local community, and the world at large. Programs/Activities include:
- “Creating My Reality” – Mental Health workshops.
- “Doing Me” – Self-reflection/sufficiency workshops.
- “Express Yourself” – Creative Development through Art.
Our PACT (Parents and Children Together) initiative is a series of family meetings that are held once a month throughout the program year. This is done so that parents and children can come together to work out personal/professional challenges and plan for the future. Programs/Activities/Events to include:
- My Special Person & Me – For caregivers and dependents.
- Let’s Build Something Together Workshops
- Our Time – Events to promote family closeness.
“I CAN” is a job readiness program that is designed to help participants master the necessary attitudes, skills and behaviors to successfully obtain and maintain employment. Topics covered include but are not limited to:
- GED Training
- Credit Counseling
- High School to Work Transition skills
- Reentry Employment Assistance & Transition (Seniors and Dislocated Workers)